Thursday, August 11, 2011

Roasted Tomatoes

After 5 days of rather unhealthy fried, overly-salted, or richly sweetened and buttered food in family restaurants on Cape Cod, I'm eager for my local produce! In fact, while I enjoyed our vacation a lot (I'll do a post on it next), I think vacations are meant to remind us how wonderful our real life and real home is.

I often imagine that I'd be happier if I didn't have to cook and clean so much, but my own cooking was the thing I missed most while we were away. We got home yesterday morning, and I headed right to the farm stand across the street to take advantage of their special: tomatoes 99 cents/lb when you buy 5 lbs.

Dinner was roasted tomatoes on pasta with roasted carrots from last week's CSA share. I used this recipe from Fine Cooking magazine. It's a winner that I've done for a few years. I cooked on the grill to keep the house cool, and finished our propane tank just as the tomatoes were done.


I used those local tomatoes, garlic from the share and our own thyme. I made enough to put 2 more jars into the freezer. Pulling them out in January is magical! I wish you could see how great dinner looked, but I was so excited to eat, I forgot to take the picture of the rich, glazed, finished tomatoes, or the tomatoes mixed with pasta. But here's one of the finished jars.


2 comments:

Kaat said...

I have to go get some of those tomatoes!

We have lots of guests over the next couple of days. After that we'll go letterboxing together?

annh said...

Wow! this recipe looks really good and I will certainly be making some this week ready for the store cupboard
Happy Week