Tuesday, December 4, 2012

So Thankful for Local Farm-Fresh Food

I thought I'd post a bit about Thanksgiving and what's going on before the season passes by. We served 8 at our Thanksgiving table (although the youngest didn't feel very well and only made it to the table for pie.) Our immediate family, my mom, my in-laws and a new friend I'm thankful for this year who built a beautiful house for herself in town and moved in early this year.

The menu included: a dry-brined turkey cooked on the grill, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts, roasted butternut squash/onion/cranberry, and cornbread/sausage stuffing. Guests brought a pumpkin pie and a peach pie for dessert. It was a terrific meal although the food photos didn't turn out so well. My favorite photo of the day was of my happy mother and father-in-law passing the turkey.




Although we did not have turnip at this meal, many of the ingredients came from our Siena farm share. For their farm and for Mainstone farm across the road from us, where we get our grass fed beef and pork, I am truly thankful during the holidays and all year through. We have signed up for a 48-week full year share from Siena for next year. Here is a photo of my favorite guys at this fall's Siena harvest party.



The other food related item I'm thankful for is fresh eggs... and my friend who keeps chickens. This inspirational friend teaches me about living sustainably and with positive intention. She is really something special. I helped take care of her chickens while she was away for Thanksgiving and got a number of fresh eggs as a reward. Here's one that I very quickly turned into breakfast!





1 comment:

Kaat said...

Oh, Thanksgiving!
We spent ours with friends in NYC and when my daughter, Amie (7) was asked why she is thankful for those around the table, she said, "Mama, because she is cooperative".
She's been hearing the word co-op too often in our household! (She just as well could have said "transitioning".) We laughed but I smiled.
Cooperating and transitioning is done with others, our friends first of all. That's what I am thankful for.