Friday, May 22, 2009

Reaching Higher

It was about 7 years ago when we added our family room and the curved porch. Above the door is a wooden pergola that we dreamed would be covered in flowers. We planted and tended a beautiful clematis year after year and finally it has reached the pergola, nearly 15 feet from its roots.

Had I taken philosophy in college, I could likely quote some famous words about permanence, about fate, about intention. Alas, I took lots of biology and chemistry, decision analysis and statistics. So I move forward now knowing that I can grow a beautiful clematis in our Wayland yard, along with many vegetables in the raised beds that are already there. We are moving on to new opportunities, with a job in place rather than searching for a new one in tough times.

But I will miss the yard. The evening glow of dogwoods is ended. Now it is the fiery poppies catching my eye.

No comments: