Monday, July 13, 2009

Waiting, Waiting, Waiting...

Gosh, it's been a long time. My computer isn't getting internet so I'm on another with no pictures. And without my computer genius honey, I can't figure stuff out. The countdown is running...tick, tick, tick... 10 more days until the closing in MA. Until then I have no control. Not of my kids, not of my environment, not of my frustration.

Jack and I went for a hike at the Alpine boat basin on the Palisades yesterday. Two hours where the steepness of the terrain kept my mind focused on the present. Legs burning. Testing my fear of heights. Rewarded at the bottom with a waterfall and swings by the sea (actually the Hudson).

Inspired by visiting historical sites in Boston and battle sites in Fort Lee, NJ, I'm reading 1776 by David Mcullough. In the passage I read last night a young Henry Knox gets the idea to travel to Fort Ticonderoga in northern New York from Boston to retrieve French cannons. He musters courage, sleds and men and moves the more than 100,000 lbs of munitions by boat and sled across hundreds of miles and over the Berkshire mountains. He and his men even pull up a cannon from the bottom of a river after it had fallen through the ice with the help of the good people of Albany. Then it is George Washington who commands his troops to mount those cannons on the hills of Dorchester on one moonlit night in March. The British awake to find their position in Boston much eroded.

Reading of these endeavors is so exciting. People with such determination and bravery. Such purpose. What am I doing with my life?

No comments: